Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Diet

In the past 8 months we have made a lot of changes to our diet. In an effort to decrease risk of diabetes in our family we cut back on carbs drastically. Then, due to Joel colic, I went on a gluten free diet for almost 4 months while breastfeeding. This made easier because we had already cut most of our breads and carbs. As Joel had grown, so has his appetite. But because of his stomach issues he eats fresh stuff and nothing processed unless it specifically says "gluten free". The boy can eat more broccoli than the rest of us put together..probably because he eats our portion! I was waiting for him to turn a year old so we could do allergy testing. We tried to draw blood and it was very traumatic for everyone involved and not very successful. We did get enough blood to test for wheat which came back negative. The thought of feeding my sweet boy, who loves meat and veggies and does not care for carbs, processed mac and cheese makes me cringe. It's been a battle to get the 4 year old to give up her processed sugar. Most of our shopping comes from the dairy, meat and produce sections now and she complains. I want to shout that she should enjoy the fresh food instead of griping but instead I battle to get her eat...and most of the time it is tasty not bland and "yucky". I think we have all felt better and had more energy since the diet change. The hubs and I have both noticed that we feel more draggy if go off the diet for more than a meal. I would love for my boy to continue to love his fresh foods. We go to see the allergist next week for more extensive testing. I'm hoping we can find a balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment