Saturday, January 23, 2016

Whole 30: Day 20

When I was growing up we spent every Friday nigh at my grandparents' house. We would drop by the house and then rush back to the car and drive the 20 minutes through the country to their house. Twenty- five years ago 20 minutes was a long drive...or so it seemed. Now I live 8 hours from my parents. So we would drive over to my mother's parents' house. Mamaw would cook dinner. Often my favorite salisbury steak with gravy and mashed potatoes. Even when I went away to college every Friday when I was home we went to Mamaw's house. I never realized that the time spent there was probably rejuvenating for my mother. She didn't have to cook dinner and when she tried to clean up Mamaw would often shoo her out of the kitchen and say "I'll have those dishes cleaned up before you get home." And we would sit and talk and watch TV. After working all day I came home to dishes piled in the sick because the dishwasher is still broken. I was exhausted and cooking another Whole 30 dinner was not appealing because I knew it would leave more dishes to clean. I suddenly realized one of the reasons we went to Mamaw's house every Friday...Mama needed a break!

We had leftover breakfast casserole this morning. Hubby made grilled chicken and spinach salad for lunch. We had steak, baked potato and broccoli for dinner. I put balsamic vinegar dressing and red pepper flakes on the broccoli for a little extra flavor. We used clarified butter on the potato and added some green onion.

We are 2/3 of the way done with our Whole 30. Just 10 days left to go but the challenges are not over. Hopefully this weekend we can find time to look at dishwashers. Not an easy feat when even Walmart requires almost an hour drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment